Thursday, October 28, 2010

Review: "Halloween II"(2009)-written October 28, 2010

For what has been too long in my opinion, since I when I promised, I have been slacking off in writing this review. Anyways, to be specific I will be reviewing the Director's Cut, but first why am I reviewing the sequel? Well Rob Zombie's remake of "Halloween" is a good movie but there are too many things that I personally find distasteful about it. Seeing "Halloween"(2007) would definitely be helpful in understanding its sequel, but I do struggle wondering if seeing it is Necessary. Moving forward....
"Halloween II"(2009) does have some really graphic and brutal violence with amounts nudity and Strong coarse language. However all of that is just stuff I don't care about, so what is it that makes this one of my favourite horror movies? Scout Taylor-Compton, Laurie Strode, and her connection with her brother Michael. Now I mention the actress Scout and her character in the movie separately because the story and the acting are both so great, they both deserve mention. A substantial difference between the Director's Cut and the Theatrical version is that most of the scenes/footage is about Laurie Strode. This shows So Much more of her and really gives her more depth. You may start to feel attached to Laurie and sad for her. The emotional connection with Laurie Strode is what gives this movie a foundation and excellent visual. She is at the heart of Halloween II. The way that Taylor-Compton acts on screen is like an extravagant fireworks display. Whenever she says 'Fuck', it is with great emotion and a deep penetrating punch. Brad Douriff, who plays the sheriff, also has great acting and is to be commended for his emotional display in a particular scene. As for the connection with Laurie and Michael, it's something else. The Ending is a beautiful sorrow which makes the movie wonderful. There is only one fault character wise and that's with Doctor Loomis. His actions are egotistic and unreasonable, but still, "Halloween II" is a great film.

No comments:

Post a Comment